Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hurry, hurry

These people are weird. A lot of the nurses I live with are also part time farmers, or at least their husbands are and they all have HUGE veggie gardens. Okay, so here is the weirdness - they are all making a mad dash to pickle or jam or otherwise preserve all their fruit and veg for winter. They are like hibernating bears. Plant, plant, grow, grow, harvest, rush and can. So there is a lot of swapping going on, someone has lots of cucumber, more than she can fit in her cellar, and someone else has too much beet, so they swap. I'm getting some of the excess fruit and veg in an attempt to help ease the load. But I have never seen anything like it. These people have basements of tomatoes and "fruit in juice" in jars (not jam), and jam and potatoes in a cold place and pickled cucumber(dill, not gherkin) and it just goes on and on and on. So everyone is hustling for harvest and I'm just watching, maybe come November I will regret not cooking up all the carrots I could and putting them in jars, but I'll take my chances.

Moose Jaw is on. YAY!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home