Sunday, July 02, 2006

Canada day weekend

Today we were, for the very first time since we've been here, invited to someone's house. Well their "beach house" (half an hour out of yorkton on the edge of a lake) and it was really nice, we chatted, swam, played with their kids, barbequed some hamburgers - all in all a truely north american afternoon. Then at 9pm we drove home along farm roads in our massive 5.7l red jeep. (well ours for the next month). Most of the time its easy to forget where we are, I do my work, we eat, we sleep, but some days it hits me. Today was one of them. We are here. People fly massive canadian flags in their back yards, and lots of them an equally sized saskatchewan one. No one has a fence. We leave our door open. It gets dark late, dinner is lunch, washroom is the loo, fanny is your bum and I know the selling price of barley.

I miss samp and beans
I miss the mealie lady with her huge welcoming toothy smile at the taxi rank in atteridgeville
I miss gareth cliff on my drive home
I miss the enthusiastic, but useless guard at our gate
I miss biltong
I miss the chocolate babies SO much

I miss lots about South Africa, often, and unlike the majority of South Africans here, I still think it rocks. I do so much promoting here. But this is also cool, I can't rollerblade everyday in Jo'burg. And the sky, well you have to see it to believe it. I'm over it, but the sky is so endless and the ground so flat that you can see the curvature of the earth.

3 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

I found you when I searched "Kamsack" - my hometown (although I live near Regina now). I'm loving reading your Canadian adventures from a SA perspective. Hopefully you'll enjoy MJ more than the Mullet-capital of the world (Yorkton).

 
At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear me, you write so beautifully it makes me sad and happy at the same time. South Africa misses you, the chocolate babies miss you, your house misses you, your friends REALLY miss you. It's funny how when you are here you wanna be somewhere "cool" and when you are somewhere cool you yearn for home. Funny things, humans. Speaking of home, I'm going to Cape Town this weekend to bond with my mommy for one of the last visits before she leaves home to go somewhere "cool" - she's emigrating to Kent, in England. I am an emigration orphan now. Sad, really, to be one of the last of my clan left in SA. Anyway, enough ramblings. Let's make plans for a visit... xxx

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gareths now been taken over by DJ fresh from Yfm for the fresh drive on 5fm...kak idea,1 less thing for u to miss!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home