Monday, May 01, 2006

Busy busy busy

Also, fun fun fun. We had quite a weekend. To start with, let me clear something up. Lindie, we thought your wedding was FRIDAY. Those weren't predictions. We thought it had already happened. Who knows how the confusion occured, but it did. It's not like we turned up at an empty chapel or anything, but we did scramble back from the hospital where Claire was on call and sit like fools waiting for the wedding to begin so we could watch. Still so happy for you guys.

I've started noticing something very disturbing. Claire's accent slips. She has on THREE occations now said something in "canadian". It's only under VERY specific conditions, but it's worrying. It's always when we are in a situation where a canadian asks her something, and she responds using one or more of the words used in the question. For example:

Waitress:"Can I get you a glass of water?"
Claire:"Yes please. Just a smallglass<end canadian>!"

The words all appear to be "A" related. I have, so far, spotted "glass", "ask", and one other (I forger what it is, but it's another "A" word). I will continue to use the highly effective shaming method and hopefully it will clear right up. When she starts with "right on" or "sounds good", there will have to be some sort of stern action taken. I'll have none of that.

On Friday, Claire's phone ran out of airtime (Reader: Oh boy. These guys have REALLY run out of things to write about). Loading airtime is simple, no? NO! Holy crap. These canadians have a total fetish for voice recognition phone systems.

"Please say your 10 mobile phone number"
"13065210235" (that is my number, by the way - sms me with pleasure)
"I heard '365220234' is that correct?"
"NO!!!"
"I'm sorry, I can't find that number on our system. Please hang up and try again"
"%$#&-ing stupid ...."

Half an hour. Honestly! Technologically advanced my bum! Cell phone tech is way ahead in SA. Everyone look at your phones and smile. They work.

We also tried a couple of new Canadian products. I was thinking of doing a product exposé. Anyone interested? I'll take a picture and do a full review. There is some interesting stuff here. For example: Hamburger Helper. It's mince mate. For some reason, they call "mince meat" "Hamburger". Its much the same as the SA one, except we accidentally got the rice one. WEIRD?!
Now for the gross one. We saw it on the shelf, and began a morbid fascination. There appear to be several varieties and they seem pretty popular. Its cottage cheese. Flavoured cottage cheese. For eating with a spoon. Like yoghurt. GROSS!!! So we bought some and I ate it. Just look at how appetising it looks:

Like pale brains or month old milk. Yum. It was odd to say the least, but I will probably finish the 4-pack. Whether I will buy more is yet to be seen. I will however DEFINATELY buy more of the following:
That's a clutch pencil added to the picture for scale. An enormous Patrick Star easter egg. After easter, everything went on sale (YAY!) so I picked it up for nothing. I love this place.

We got out and about in the sunshine. It's getting green and warm here (24 on Saturday) and we took the plunge and bought rollerblades. What fun! We've been up and down and up and down. Already done about 16kms on them.

Lastly, I got Claire out on the driving range. I plan on making some serious improvements while here. Its the game of choice during the summer months.

Okay, it's taken me all morning to create this post because of internet issues. I will leave it there.

That is all.

7 Comments:

At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also wonder who Jacques might be. Do you think that French Canadians monitor all non-French websites in Canada and check that there is language equality? Be careful kids, there might be one of those anal-retentive laws that you are transgressing! I find it interesting that Jacques never refered to the other language as English but rather Canadian.
Strange .........

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry you got up early. You were doomed not to see the wedding, it seems. Either by technology failure or timing issues. It was as you predicted, bar the old lady singing. Marc's parents tried to sing 'For they are jolly good fellows' but we put an abrupt end to that before it had really begun. Now we are holidaying in the Eastern Cape- had good weather today so made full use- fishing, beach walks, boat rides. Anyway, off to do some more fishing. How much can one do, I ask myself? Miss you too much. We have elaborate plans of future holidays with you guys- you'd better be keen... Lots of love The Serruriers! P.S Go and check our blog...

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the whole Bob Le Ponge thing! I'm not sure if my mom told you the story about the guy living in the cottage. His name is Rob but I nicknamed him Bob. After your postings about Bob Le Ponge I then gave him that nickname instead. It has now been shortened to Le Ponge. So whenever we speak about him he is refered to as Le Ponge. It's great!!

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys! It's 4am over here - I'm working and thoroughly enjoyed a break taken to read your new posts!
I really didn't think the "brains disguised as cheese" ploy would fool you though, must be the change of climate... Ha!
Glad to see you're keeping Claire in check there Melt - though I'll bet you've also let a few "Canadienne's" through too!
Will Skype ya this weekend if you're about - will be nice to catch up again.
Speak to ya soon, keep up the posting!

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you got a woodchipper, ey?
or perhaps a Chipper Le Wood

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also want one of those big cohcolate creations for free!:) should i leave this on anonymous and see if u can guess who i am?! mmmm...its a toughie

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T'was me:)
fun game hey!! almost as good as pictionary with the fam...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home