Thursday, March 09, 2006

More Native Stuff

We've been busy getting into all the Canadian things we can. They are people worthy of respect, and obviously know what they are doing.

From "How to be a Canadian": There are 30 million people in Canada - all of whom have, at some point, frozen their tongues to the side of a chainlink fence or flagpole. Indeed, at any given time of the year, it is winter somewhere in Canada and someone, somewhere, is stuck to a flagpole. "Hap me, hap me. Tumbuddy, pwease hap me."


There is a widely held belief that they are the best in the world at two sports. Hockey and Curling. However, it has recently come to my attention that they aren't as good as they used to be at the former. None the less we decided to go to the local junior team's big game against on of their major rivals. Yorkton Terriers versus, ... the guys in the red.




Our team (we adopt very quickly) lost. The people were VERY upset. I couldn't believe just how insane the fans were. The refs got so much abuse I thought they might cry.

There are actually three refs on the ice at a time. One guy blows the whistle and the other two rush over every time it looks like there will be a fight. Needless to say, they are very busy guys. I mean, the rule about ramming or charging or whatever it is only applies if you change direction to slam someone into the wall. If you are skating alongside a guy and feel like it, you are more than welcome to hammer his head into the plexiglass - its legal.

I had to read up on the rules before we went because I didn't really know how things like offside and scoring fouls and things worked, but it was a really good time. Oh, except you can only buy beer during the 15 minutes between the periods. I think hockey would be infinately better if you could be plastered. I would have joined in with the shouting at the ref.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home